Have you ever wondered what books were published in the 1970s?
A few years ago I thought about reading popular books from each of the last fifty years. That challenge never happened, but I recently came across the list of books that I made for it and realized they would be fun to share with you.
You might not want to read a book from every year or even every decade, but you can tell a lot about the culture during a time period, by what people are reading.
I am starting with books published in the 1970s.
This list is a little bit different than our normal list because it includes some books that we have read and some books that we have not read.
It is a mix of bestsellers, books that were popular, and books that caught my attention because they are so well known. It even includes a few kids’ books and cookbooks.
It is so interesting to see what books were not necessarily popular the year they were published but have gained in popularity over the years.
When I was putting this list together I was so surprised by some of the books that were published in the 1970s. I had no idea some of these titles were as old as they are.
Popular Books Published in the 1970s
Books Published in 1970
- Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
- 84, Charing Cross Rd. by Helene Hanff
- The Bluest Eyes by Toni Morrison
- The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
Books Published in 1971
- The Lorax by Dr. Suess
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
Books Published in 1972
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
- The Great Bridge by David McCullough
Books Published in 1973
- Princess Bride by William Goldman
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer
- The NIV Bible ( I found this one interesting. I did not realize it was such a recent translation of the Bible. )
- Upstairs at the White House by J.B West
Books Published in 1974
- Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
- Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
- All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot
- Carrie by Stephen King
- Centennial by James A. Michener
Books Published in 1975
- Curtain by Agatha Christie
- Terms of Endearment by Larry McMurtry
- Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Books Published in 1976
- Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
- The Great Santini by Pat Conroy
- Joni An Unforgettable Story by Joni Eareckson Tada
- Letters From Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books Published in 1977
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
- The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough
- The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen ( I put this on the list because it is has been a very popular cookbook for years. )
Books Published in 1978
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
- The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen
- The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges
- A Pocket For Corduroy by Don Freeman
Books Published 1979
- The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
- Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke
- The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins
I would love to hear what book on the list surprised you by being published almost fifty years ago.
6 thoughts on “Books Published In the 1970s”
I was surprised that the James Harriot books and The Hiding Place were originally published in the ‘70’s. I would have guessed earlier.
The Westing Game Inwas recently surprised to find out was from that decade because it seemed like it was suddenly popping up on a lot of book lists again.
Love Comes Softly completely surprised me. I thought early ‘90’s, maybe late ‘80’s. 🙂 This list was so fun. Thank you for putting it together.
I was surprised by the Westing Game too. I think that might be one of those books that is more popular now than when it was published. And I agree I thought the Hiding Place was published in the 1960s. I am so glad you enjoyed this list. It was fun to put together. I am looking forward to doing more of them.
I love this idea of decade reading. I was surprised about the book “Walk Across America” by Peter Jenkins. I read this book during that time frame. I loved it. It was a book that stuck with me. My goodness how the years pass. Thank you for putting together this list. It is so appreciated.
I have had Walk Across on my tbr for years and still have not read it. I need to finally pick it up. I knew it was an older book but had no idea it was written back in the 70s until I put together the list. And I am glad that you enjoyed the list. It was fun to put together.
Unrelated to your post :), but have you read Nourished by Lia Huber? I just read it. If you haven’t, I think you might enjoy it.
I was surprised the James Herriot books were published in the 70s!
I just looked up Nourished and it does look like something I would enjoy! Thank you for the recommendation.