I am so glad that I challenged myself to read 100 books this year. I don’t know if I will still be glad in a few months, but right now it is just what I needed.
One of the reasons that I set my goal at 100 books is because I knew I needed to get my social media use under control. I am not quitting social media all together, but I need to cut back. I am spending way too much time on it. My hope is that I will grab a book instead of scrolling mindlessly through social media. So far it has helped and I have realized that I waste too much time mindless scrolling on my phone.
I have also realized that I spend way more time watching t.v. than I realized. I don’t watch a lot of t.v. No one in the family really does. We really limit our t.v. watching to some news, HGTV, Foodnetwork, movie night, and some occasionally sports.
There are no shows that are current must sees for me. I am not anti t.v. I just usually limit my time watching it.
If you had asked me a month ago I would have said I rarely watch t.v., but apparently I watched more than I realized, especially right before bed. Now I make myself grab a book first. I tell myself that I am going to read a chapter or two before turning on the t.v. Often times I get so involved in the book that the t.v never comes on. So my t.v watching has definitely gone down, which I think is a good thing.
So far this year I have read 9 books. I am really happy with that number and a little surprised. I thought I would have a hard time reading 2 books a week, but if I keep this up I will definitely reach my goal of 100.
This post includes affiliate links that help pay for this site and what I do. Thank you!
Books I Finished This Week
- Shoe Dog by Phil Knight– I loved this book! It is going on my list of all time favorite business story type books. I found this book interesting for many reasons. One of which is that NIKE is an Oregon company and I grew up in Oregon. I have driven by NIKE headquarters many times. I drive by it every time I visit family in Oregon. But I learned a lot about NIKE that I had no clue about. NIKE didn’t start as NIKE. It had a totally different name. The book was also a reminder that success doesn’t happen overnight. It almost always takes years of work, training, failures, and a great team to help you. There is so much I could say about this book, but I will just say if you love stories about business and what makes them what they are this is a great book. Grace read it recently and reviewed it and she agrees. She loved it as well.
- Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery- This is book 2 in the Anne of Green Gables series. I read this as part of my goal to reread the Anne of Green Gables series this year. I am really enjoying rereading these.
- Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery- This is book 3 in the Anne of Green Gables series and I loved this one. The first time I read this series I remember book 1 and 3 being my favorite of the whole series. I think this will still be the case. Book 2 was good, but I enjoyed books 1 and 3 even more.
Books I am Reading
- A Stranger In Mayfair– This is the fourth book in the Charles Lenox Mystery series. I discovered this series last year and loved it. I read the first three books quickly and can’t wait to read this one. I am glad I found this series, because it is a series my teenage son is enjoying as well.
The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House– This book was on my list of books that I hope to read in 2017. I just started it, but so far am enjoying it.
A Night to Remember by Walter Lord– I have been reading this one for months and am reading it very slowly. I realized something about this book this week. The few times I picked it up to read was right before I went to bed, which is not a good time to read it. I am enjoying this book, but I don’t really want to read about the Titanic sinking right before I fall asleep. I am going to have to try to grab this one during the day when I am more in the mood for it!
- Lost Women of the Bible– I am still working on this one. This was on my list of books to read in 2017. This book was given to me by a friend that really enjoyed it. This book is not going to be a fast read for me. I fully expect it to take weeks to get through. It is good, but it is a Christian study type book so I end up thinking through it a lot as I read it, which makes it a slow read.