It is August 1st and that means it is time for another This Month In History.
These lists are always so fun to put together. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy putting them together.
August In History
- 1876 Colorado became the 38th State.
- 1914 WWI began when Germany declared war on Russia.
- 1934 Adolf Hitler became dictator of Germany.
- 1990 Iraq invade Kuwait.
- 1923 Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as the 30th U.S. President after the sudden death of President Warren G. Harding.
- 1941 Martha Stewart was born.
- 1949 The NBA, The National Basketball Association, was formed.
- 1914 Britain declared war on Germany during WWI.
- 1944 Anne Frank was arrested by Nazi police.
- 1977 The Department of Energy was formed.
- 1861 Abraham Lincoln signed the Revenue Act which imposed the Federal Income Tax.
- 1911 Comedian and Actress Lucille Ball was born.
- 1945 The U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima Japan during WWII.
- 1962 Jamaica became independent after being part of the British Common Wealth for 307 years.
- 1782 George Washington creates the Purple Heart, which was originally called the Badge of Military Merit.
- 1789 The U.S. War Department was established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1945 The Soviet Union declared war on Japan during WWII.
- 1974 U.S. President Richard Nixon resigns. He was the first president to resign.
- 1945 A second nuclear bomb was dropped on Japan by the U.S. Japan then surrendered, ending WWII.
- 1974 Gerald Ford became the 39th U.S. President after Richard Nixon resigned.
- 1821 Missouri became the 24th U.S. state.
- 1846 The Smithsonian Institution was created.
- 1934 The federal prison Alcatraz opened on Alcatraz Island off California.
- 1992 Mall of America opened in Minnesota becoming the largest mall in the U.S.
- 1908 The first Model T was built in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1992 The U.S., Mexico, and Canada agree to NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- 1899 Alfred Hitchock was born.
- 1942 The Disney film Bambi premiered in New York.
- 1961 Berlin Germany was divided into East Germany and West Germany when East German soldiers started laying down bricks and barbed wire to divide the countries.
- 1917 China declared war on Germany and Austria during WWI.
- 1935 President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the U.S. Social Society Act.
- 1914 The Panama Canal opened.
- 1947 India became independent from Britain forming India and Pakistan.
- 1961 Construction began on the Berlin Wall
- 1948 Baseball player Babe Ruth died.
- 1977 Elvis Presley died.
- 1786 Davy Crockett, American frontiersman, was born.
- 1877 William Bonney, aka Billy the Kid, killed his first victim.
- 1937 Actor Robert Redford was born.
- 1919 Afghan declared independence from Great Britain.
- 1946 William “Bill” Jefferson Clinton, the 42nd president of the United States, was born.
- 1986 A U.S. Postal employee killed fourteen coworkers in Oklahoma.
- 1959 Hawaii became the 50th U.S. state.
- 1864 The International Red Cross was formed.
- 1922 The shootings at Ruby Ridge happened on the second day of the standoff in Idaho.
- 1914 Japan declared war against Germany entering WWI.
- 1456 The first printing of the Gutenberg Bible was completed.
- 1991 Ukraine declared its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1944 Paris, France was liberated from four years of occupation by Nazi Germany.
- 1939 The movie Wizard of Oz was released.
- 55 B.C. Britain was invaded by Roman forces under Julius Caesar
- 1910: Mother Teresa, a nun who devoted her life to caring for the sick and poor, was born
- 1935: Geraldine Ferraro, the first women nominated for U.S. vice president, was born
- 1939 The first televised major league baseball game is shown. It was between the Cincinnati Reds and the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1859: The First successful oil well strike in Titusville, Pennsylvania
- 1908: Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th president of the United States, was born
- 1862: August 28th-30th The Second Battle of Bull Run (Second Battle of Manassas) a major Civil War Battle with an estimated 22,000 casualties was fought.
- 1877: Charles Stewart Rolls, an auto manufacturer and co-founder of Rolls Royce was born
- 1758: First Indian reservation was established in what would become the southern part of New Jersey
- 1955: Michael Jackson, an American Pop singer, was born
- 1958: Scott Hamilton, the American figure skater and Olympic gold medalist was born
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast of the United States
- 1967: Thurgood Marshall become the first African American to be confirmed to the Supreme Court
- 1997: Princess Diana, Princess of Whales, died in a car crash.