Have a long car trip planned this week? We have some ideas for filling up that time in the car!
Our family has made a lot of car trips over the years. My family all lives in Oregon, and for years my in-laws lived in California.
Over the last twenty-four years that we have lived in Oklahoma, we have probably made at least twelve car trips to the West Coast. Yes, we often drive instead of fly.
We don’t usually drive this time of year. We usually take trips during the summer, but they are still long car trips, close to thirty hours in the car type of trips.
How do we fill our time? Audio books and podcasts.
I will admit that we also do some movie watching, but we have always had the rule that some of the time will be used for learning.
When you are in a car with nothing to do for hours, it is a great time to take advantage of it. Spend some time learning something new.
Since it is a holiday week and a lot of people will be traveling, I thought I would share a few podcasts that I listened to recently and really enjoyed.
- I shared about The Same Page Podcast a couple of months ago, but I wanted to mention it again because it is great for kids. Not all people have a great audio voice, especially when it comes to kids stuff, but she does. Both kids and adults will enjoy this one.
I love the podcast Stuff You Missed In History Class. It is one of my favorite podcasts. I love that the episodes include enough information without being too long.
I have pretty much enjoyed all the ones that I have listened to so far, but here are a few of the episodes that I listened to recently and really enjoyed.
- The Radium Girls – The book on The Radium Girls has been in my to read pile for quite awhile. After listening to this, I decided that I need to move it up my list.
- Anne Byrn’s American Cookie– It is no secret that I love talking food. I do share all kinds of recipes and cooking tips over on Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures. This episode all about cookies in American was a fun one to listen to.
- Condensed History of Air Conditioning– I know that it is cold right now and most of us won’t be using our air conditioner anytime soon, but this was fascinating to listen to. I learned a lot from this one.
- The Georgia Gold Rush– I had not idea about this gold rush. I am guessing that unless you have lived in Georgia, you probably have never heard of it either.
- Levi Strauss– This was interesting if you love business type stories.
- Here Kitty Kitty, The Domestication of the Cat– I am not an animal lover. I like them, but I can’t say that I love them. However, this was very interesting on the history of cats.
- 3 Reformation Women: Katharina, Marguerite, and Jeanne– I have heard and read quite a lot about one of these women, but the other two I knew very little about.
- The Great American Read Revisited– I posted about The Great American Read this summer. My thoughts haven’t really changed on it, but I still enjoyed listening to Chris and Annie’s thoughts though. I don’t agree with them on everything about The Great American Read, but it was nice to hear that they agree with me on a lot of the books on the list.
- A few months ago I shared a few of my favorite podcasts about food and food brands. You can find that list here.