It has been awhile since I shared what I have been reading, so this week we covering three weeks. The last three books have been good reading weeks for me. I have loved several of the books I have read and am currently reading a couple that I am really enjoying.
- Between Heaven and the Read World– This book was just released last month. I am not usually one that buys brand new releases, but I have enjoyed Steven Curtis Chapman’s music for years. So I was looking forward to reading this one. I really enjoyed it. You can read my full review here.
- Cold Sassy Tree– I did not enjoy this book. In fact, I almost didn’t finish it. I had quite the discussion with my daughter about it because by the time I decided I might not finish it, I was over half way through it. I felt invested in the book and knew I would regret it if I didn’t finish it. So I didn’t give up on it, but I kind of wish I had. This book gets great reviews. It has over 700 reviews on Amazon and has 4 1/2 stars. It also has great reviews on Good Reads. I just don’t think this was for me. The book covers life in the south in a small town in the early 1900’s. I think much of the book is a good picture of life in the south at the time. It covers growing up and growing old. It follows the life of a family and how the family changes. It deals with some tough real life issues. I probably couldn’t get into this book because I am not a huge fiction reader or if it just wasn’t my style of writing. I think part of it is that I don’t mind reading about dysfunctional families. We are all dysfunctional to some point, although some families more than others. I think I just prefer to read about real life as opposed to a story that could very well be a real story, but isn’t. I know a lot of people love this book though and consider it a classic must read.
- Just Show Up– I loved this book. You can read my full review here. This is a great book on friendship and community, written by two friends. They share about friendship and what it looks like. They keep it real and share the pain, the struggles, and the joys. If you need some encouragement when it comes to friendship, I recommend this was a great read.
- Lady Cop Makes Trouble– This is the second book in the series and I loved it. It was a fun mindless read. Grace and I both read and enjoyed this one.
- Anne’s House of Dreams– One of my goals for 2017 was to reread the Anne of Green Gables series. I loved this series when I read it for the first time as a teenager. I don’t often reread books, but this was one series I really wanted to reread. I enjoyed rereading the first three books in the series. I fell in love with the Anne books all over again. I struggled with book four though. As I started rereading book four I remembered that I struggled with it before. The book is full of letters to Gilbert and I just don’t like that style of writing. I love the story, but not the style. I skimmed through rereading the fourth book. I am not even putting it on my list of books read, because I skimmed so much of it. Book five though, Anne’s House of Dreams, was really good. I enjoyed it, not as much as the first three books in the series, but I am still glad I reread it.